• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Beneficial Properties of St. John's Wort?

jamesBrown

Bluelighter
I just picked up a couple bottles of "Natures Bounty" Double Strength St. John's Wort Extract 300 mg/ 0.3% Hypericin. I was hoping someone could shed some light on whether or not these pills have any beneficial effects(e.g...anti-anxiety, anti-depressant..etc..). I have have no experience with them and am wondering if it's worth playing around with. It says to take 3 pills a day...one morning, one evening, etc...I just took 3 pills at once about an hour and a half ago but am not sure if i feel anything at all.

If anyone could tell me there experiences with st. john's wort, or atleast give me some insight on what dosages do what and so on, I would be greatly appreciative.

Also, im interested in its interaction with other drugs....im prescribed klonopin, temazepam, and suboxone.

ALL information is welcomed!

Thank you

jamesBrown

St. John's worth had no effect on me.

It has an interesting mechanism of action of binding to TRPC6 resulting in monoamine reuptake inhibition. Don't take it with other serotonergics btw.

I'd actually recommend trying it as it isn't a patented pharmaceutical drug meaning there's little reason to inflate its efficacy. Indeed one pharmaceutical firm purposely published negative anti-depressant results if I remember correctly.

I think this is better suited for the Healthy Living forum so let's try this out over there.

--->HL

Damn, i found it (and appreciated its presence...) in OD lol...but meh

Anyways...It started to have an effect on me towards the end of the bottle (they take a while to build up in your system and begin 'working'))...it was slight, it was dulling... yet effective as an anti-depressant to an extent...

I didn't buy another bottle if that tells you anything

^OD's really more focused on harm reduction for recreational drugs than therapeutic use of herbal supplements.

Also, the redirect link will still be on OD for a week so it'll be accessible there as well.

See a doctor and ask them about the drug interactions since you're on benzos and suboxone.

I took SJW for a bit and I only took one pill a day.

It did not help with depression/anxiety at all for me. As odd as it sounds it just made me very angry and I'd get into physical fights with friends and other people. SSRIs/SSNRIs have never done that to me.

I took it for a while and it had no effect on me at all

I read somewhere it has as much effect as a placebo for moderate to severe depression

I used this throughout the whole winter last year.

I didn't take tablets though - I used a tincture - high quality herbal extract tincture.

Really worked for me, I get terrible S.A.D during the winter.

It's not placebo, it has definite proven properties. It saved me from these ghastly, revolting diabetesenhancing SSRI's. The tea, with the whole herb in it and not only hypericin, worked much better for me than the pills, I hardly noticed those. I boiled water on 2 teabags, and let them stew for 15 minutes. It takes a week or so before one notices anything in the calming way. The antidepressive effect can come as late as after 4 weeks. The agression comes probably because you are onother medications. I drank the tea for 8 months, then I felt that I didn't need it anymore, that is almost a year ago. Don't know what I would have done without it. But we are all individuals...

Side issue--

Women taking oral contraceptives should be careful when taking St. John's Wort. St. John's Wort is an inducer of CYP3A4 (a metabolic enzyme ) and (amongst other things) can cause a significant 13–15% reduction in the dose exposure from an oral contraceptive.